OverDrive recently added magazines (periodicals) to their digital offerings. Magazines are viewed using the NOOK app (on devices that support it) or supported Nook devices. The app can be downloaded from the app store that supplies your device. When using the app, you will be prompted to create a Barnes & Noble Account.
Competencies/Assignments for This Module
- Download and install the Nook app on a device (not necessary for Nook)
- Create a Barnes & Noble account to use with the Nook app. If you are using the library’s Nook Color, see Karrie for credentials.
- Search and check out a magazine, then send it to your Nook app.
- Remove the magazine and uninstall the app.
Click to download the app from its store:
- iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch)
- Windows 8
- Nook (color versions) – no app needed. Item appears in “magazines” or “newspapers” library as long as you send the magazine to the device’s associated B&N account.
- Magazine check-outs do not count against your OverDrive check-out limit of 10.
- After you download the magazine, it will stay on your device until you delete it manually. You do not need to return it to the library.
- Depending on the magazine, the UHLS may have a limited number of copies available for all patrons. If a magazine status is listed as “not available”, that title has reached the maximum downloads for that issue. When the next issue becomes available, the issue counter will start over and the current issue will be available for checkout.
Getting a Magazine
- After installing the app on your device (not necessary for Nook devices), search our digital catalog from any device or computer. To browse magazines, select Featured Collections>Magazines from the menu bar. If you cannot see the menu bar, click this icon:
- Tap or mouse over a title you would like to check out and select “Get this issue.” If prompted, sign into your account with your library card number.
- Your checkouts will open, displaying your magazine. Select “Send to Nook.”
- The first time you select “Send to Nook” you will be taken to a Barnes & Noble page where you will be prompted to sign into your Nook account. If you do not already have one, click the link to create one. After you have signed into (or created) your Nook account, select “grant access.”
- When the magazine has been sent successfully, you will be able to find it in your Nook app and it will disappear from your OverDrive bookshelf. Your device will need to be on to download the magazine, but it can be sent from OverDrive to Barnes & Noble if your device is off. If the magazine is not sent successfully, you can click “Re-send to Nook” to try again.
- To delete the magazine, press and hold the cover and select “delete” from the menu that pops up.