To enjoy downloaded titles on a PC or Mac, you will need to download and install software. To read e-books, Adobe Digital Editions is required. OverDrive Media Console is used to access downloaded audiobooks. The software can be downloaded via the “Applications” link at the bottom of any page of our OverDrive catalog. An Adobe ID is needed for e-books, and they can be returned early. No Adobe ID is needed for audiobooks, but they cannot be returned early. To use an e-book in OverDrive READ or LISTEN format, the only software needed is your (modern) internet browser. Older versions of Internet Explorer may prompt the user to install a Chrome plugin.
Competencies/Assignments for This Module
- Download and install Adobe Editions.
- Create an Adobe ID.
- Adjust e-book font size.
- Return an e-book early.
- Download and install OverDrive Media Console.
- Play and pause an audiobook.
- Use OverDrive READ to access and bookmark an e-book for later use.
- Use OverDrive LISTEN to access an audiobook in your browser.
- Download and install Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) on your computer from http://digitalcollection.uhls.org (bottom of page>Applications). If you have an old version installed, it will need to be uninstalled before installing the updated version.
- If you do not already have an Adobe ID, click the link on the ADE setup screen to create one and enter it in the setup wizard. You can use the same Adobe ID on up to 6 devices (including the computer ADE is installed on).
- Search http://digitalcollection.uhls.org on the computer with ADE installed. Check out and download the ePub version of the book with ADE open. It should open in ADE automatically or you will receive a prompt asking which program to use to open the e-book.
- Options within the book are limited to toggling to full screen, changing font size, creating bookmarks, and viewing the table of contents. All of these options are located in the toolbar at the top of the screen.
- To return to the list of downloaded titles in ADE, switch to the library view (upper left corner). You should see the covers of downloaded books in this view.
- The downloaded title will expire and be returned automatically. You may need to manually delete it from your computer after expiration by right clicking the cover in “Library view” and selecting “Remove from library.”
- To return an item early, right click the cover in “Library view” and select “Return borrowed item.”
- Download and install OverDrive Media Console (OMC) on your computer from http://digitalcollection.uhls.org (bottom of page>Applications). If you have an old version installed, it will need to be uninstalled before installing the updated version.
- If you are using a PC, you may be prompted to perform a security upgrade on Windows Media Player. Follow the on-screen prompts to do so. Please note the URL in the pop-up window, in case the automatic download fails. If the download fails, input this URL in Internet Explorer to manually complete the upgrade.
- Search http://digitalcollection.uhls.org on the computer with OMC installed. Check out and download an audiobook with OMC open. If you are using a Mac, WMA formatted audiobooks will not work.
- Click on the title in OMC to start the audiobook. Use the OMC menu to control playback.
- Audiobooks cannot be returned early when using OverDrive Media Console on a PC/Mac.
To avoid downloading software and simplify the process, many OverDrive e-book titles can be read in a modern browser. Some digital devices can also use this method.
- Search http://digitalcollection.uhls.org for an e-book available in READ format. This can be done using advanced search with the format field set to “OverDrive READ.”
- Check the title out to your OverDrive checkouts.
- Instead of clicking “download”, select “Read (in your browser).” The book will open in a browser after a short tutorial on navigation.
- Readability and navigation settings are also available in the sidebar.
- To make your book available for offline reading, scroll to the bottom of the right side menu and select download. Then bookmark it in your browser or add it to your home screen. The procedure depends on the browser/device being used.
- The title can be returned from the OverDrive bookshelf.
- When the loan is complete, delete the bookmark/shortcut to the e-book.
To avoid downloading software and simplify the process, many OverDrive audiobook titles can be played in a modern browser. Some digital devices can also use this method.
- Search http://digitalcollection.uhls.org for an audiobook available in LISTEN format. This can be done using advanced search with the format field set to “OverDrive LISTEN.”
- Check the title out.
- Instead of clicking “download”, select “Listen (in your browser).” The book will open in a browser.
- Use the control area to pause or change playback. Offline listening is not available.
- The title can be returned from your checkouts area.