To enjoy downloaded audiobooks on an iPod/mp3 player, you will need to download and install the OverDrive Media Console software to the computer with which your portable player is configured. The software can be downloaded via the “Applications” link at the bottom of any page of our OverDrive catalog. If you will be using an iPod, be sure to set it to “Manually manage music” in iTunes before starting a transfer. To do this: open iTunes>connect device>select device in upper right corner of the screen>check the “Manually manage music and videos” box in the summary screen>click “Done.” To receive credit for this module, you must transfer the audiobook to an mp3 player.
Competencies/Assignments for This Module
- Download and install OverDrive Media Console on a computer.
- Set iTunes to manually manage music (if using iPod).
- Download an audiobook to the computer and transfer it to a player.
- Play and pause an audiobook.
- Remove the audiobook from your player.
Watch the video: http://help.overdrive.com/#videos
Download the brochure
- Download and install OverDrive Media Console (OMC) on your computer from http://digitalcollection.uhls.org (bottom of page>Applications). If you have an old version installed, it will need to be uninstalled before installing the updated version.
- If you are using a PC, you may be prompted to perform a security upgrade on Windows Media Player. Follow the on-screen prompts to do so. Please note the URL in the pop-up window, in case the automatic download fails. If the download fails, input this URL in Internet Explorer to manually complete the upgrade.
- Search http://digitalcollection.uhls.org on the computer with OMC installed. Check out and download an audiobook with OMC open.
- Plug your mp3 player into the computer. If it is an iPod, set iTunes to manually manage music as outlined in the overview.
- Click “Transfer” in the OMC menu bar. The computer will scan for attached devices.
- Select the desired device to transfer to and click OK.
- When the transfer is complete, safely remove the device from the computer.
- Your title may be found in with your music or in a separate audiobook library, depending on your device.
- See your device manual for instructions to delete the title from your device when you are done.
- Audiobooks cannot be returned early when downloaded using OverDrive Media Console on a PC/Mac.